On November 13th of 2017, I turned 25. In my 25 years of life, I feel I have learned a handful of solid life lessons that I want to share with you all.
I want to be super candid, super vulnerable, super real. I’ve had this post in my drafts since the week leading up to my birthday. I was struggling a lot with the confidence it takes to post something like this. Something where I give advice, something that takes a lot of responsibility for those reading. I want to lead you guys in the right direction, I want to mean what I say, I want to make you proud.
But one thing I can never lose, that nobody can take from me – my self awareness! I know myself, I love myself, I believe in myself. I knew I just needed some time to myself to reflect and feel confident in my words and my mind again.
My bike accident in October really set me back (I’ll talk more about this in the future) and put me in a dark place where I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and doubt. I’m happy to finally be back on my (new) bike and on track to feeling like myself again. Time heals all they say – and I’m trying to trust that + trust the universe.
I’ve also really struggled with the societal expectations of where I should be, who I am, and what my idea of “success” looks like. With every day that passes, I am becoming more confident that my idea of success does not align with everyone else’s. What I want does not need to be justified by anyone but me. And I urge you guys to really reconsider your goals and discover whether these things are what you truly want or just what you think you should be doing. Life is short! Do what makes you happy.
Stay tuned for the top 25 lessons I’ve learned thus far that make me who I am today.
- Loving yourself is okay. It’s actually the most important thing to be okay with you.
- Comparison will kill you.
- Not everything happens for a reason, but most things do.
- Kindness is cool.
- Manners are sexy.
- Passion drives you. (Discovering what this is may be challenging)
- Some people will never change – and it’s better to be okay with this.
- Some people will change a lot, so much that it’s hard to recognize them.
- Music is therapy.
- Soft, warm blankets are both an investment and a necessity.
- It is okay to ask for help when you need it.
- Relying on other people to make you happy is not.
- (Almost) always trust your instincts.
- If you believe you can do it, you will.
- Hard work always pays off, sometimes in a way you won’t expect.
- Opportunities don’t happen, you create them.
- Good people can do bad things.
- Bubble baths are underrated.
- Skincare is really important.
- You are not your mistakes. You grow from them.
- Being bold and genuine always wins in the end, despite how it may feel in the moment.
- If you’re thinking about someone, tell them.
- If you have a genuine compliment, share it.
- Timing is everything.
- Vulnerability is a gift.
Thank you so much for reading. Take one or all of these lessons with you and give yourself grace if you aren’t yet where you want to be. Life is about the journey, not the destination. What you’re going through right now that feels difficult may be exactly what it took to get to a better place! Trust the process, trust the universe. You will get where you need to be.
Love yourself, challenge yourself, love yourself some more. Spread positivity and light.
I love you endlessly. Thanks for being on this journey with me. I can’t wait to learn and share more with you guys.
Forever yours, Cody Johnathan.